Attention Job seeking Veterans who are 55 or Older
AARP Foundation: 55 or older unemployed looking for work?
For over 50 years AARP Foundation Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) has provided people with over age 55 with opportunities to feel entry level in bilevel positions with employers in their communities.
How it works:
SCSEP trainees are placed in a variety of community service activities at nonprofit and public facilities like day care and senior care centers, schools and hospitals. This on-the-job training experience can be a bridge to find employment opportunities outside of the program. Participants work an average of 20 hours a week and are paid the highest federal state or local minimum wage.
Who is eligible?
You must be aged 55 or older, unemployed, and financially qualified. Please contact your local office to learn more about financial qualifications.
We provide participants with training in support services that are important for funding future employment. The services include Individual Employment Plan (IEP) development, specialized training to prepare for placements, wages and fringe benefits, annual physicals and assistance in securing future employment.
What kinds of jobs are available?
You could be placed in a wide variety of community service positions at both nonprofit and public facilities including daycare and senior centres, governmental agencies, schools, hospitals and libraries. These training assignments help build the skills and experience needed to obtain future employment. Additional training through lectures, seminars, one-on-one instruction, training programs and community colleges may also be provided.
SCSEP success by numbers:
- 65,081 low-income older Americans received paid training in FY15
- More than 2,000 public and nonprofit agencies (like libraries and senior centers) are supported with more than 34 million staff hours
- 51% of participants gained unsubsidized employment following the program
- $820 million in community service has been provided by SCSEP participants – nearly twice the total appropriation for the program
- 88% of participants reported the same or better physical health while working
- 2% reported a better outlook on life while working
Complete this interest form in the link below. A representative will contact you when a training opening is available: http://bit.ly/aarpscsep
Want to lean more about the Senior Community Service Employment Program?
Click the following link: