Education Assistance

We’re Here to Help

We have partnered with East Texas colleges and universities to assist you achieve your educational success. Navigating your VA education benefits can be challenging but we are here to help. Come in and talk to one of our Veteran advocates about the educational benefits you may be eligible for. Some education benefits include: 

Chapter 30,the Montgomery G.I.Bill

The Montgomery G.I. Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program. Help paying for tuition, books, and housing at an institution of higher learning ( like a 4-year university, community colleg, or graduate school)

Chapter 31, Veteran readiness & employment

Veteran readiness & employment, if you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, VR&E (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. There are 5 support-and-services tracks to help you get education or training. These 5 tracks include reemployment, Rapid access to employment, self employment, and employment through long term services. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill,

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). This bill will cover tuition and fees, money for housing, books and supplies, and money to help move from a rural area to go to school.

Chapter 35, Benefits for dependents and survivors,

 If you’re a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a Veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training.
This chapter offers two programs, one is the (Fry Scholarship), If your parent or spouse died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, while serving in one of the Armed Forces, or was a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability, you may qualify for:

You may be able to get up to 36 months of benefits, including:

  • Money for tuition (full in-state tuition costs at public schools and up to $22,805.34 per year for training at private or out-of-state schools)
  • Money for housing
  • Money for books and supplies

    The second program is the (Dependents Education Assistance),  If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program. Benefits for this include: Monthly payments to help you cover the cost of:


    • College or graduate degree programs
    • Career-training certificate courses
    • Educational and career counseling
    • Apprenticeships
    • On-the-job training

Hazlewood Act,

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.  Veteran must prove that he or she was a Texas resident at the time of entry into military service, or entered the service in the State of Texas, or declared Texas as his or her home of record in the manner provided by the military or other service.