This is an unprecedented time in our country. As individuals and companies adapt to the coronavirus, so too does the job hiring process. Companies are still hiring, but the interview process has changed.
The hiring process has gone virtual. From school districts to hospitals to businesses large and small, interviews are being conducted by phone and video (Skype, Zoom, GoToMeeting, WebEx).
If you are creative, flexible, and patient, you will succeed. Be mindful that hiring is constantly shifting and the timelines are changing. Stay positive and motivated in your job search. Continue to apply for jobs. Your efforts will pay off.
Here are helpful tips to navigate your job search during COVID-19.
- Be ready for the hiring process to take longer than usual.
- Expect to apply for five to 10 times the number of jobs that you had planned to before the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Set aside time each day to search and apply for jobs. Finding a job is a job.
- Keep your online profile updated.
- Make sure your social presence reflects you in the best light.
- Use online job search sites such as Handshake, Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor.
- Be willing to take a temporary job to demonstrate your abilities.
- Tailor your cover letter and resume to the specific job for which you are applying.
- Set job alerts with each of the online search engines.
- Practice a virtual or phone interview before the actual one happens.
- Hone your elevator speech. Practice telling that story over and over again.
- Research companies that are hiring. The health care industry needs workers. Companies including Aldi, Amazon, Walgreens, and Pepsi are looking to hire thousands of employees. Big tech companies such as Apple, Facebook, and Google are looking for thousands of workers in cybersecurity, data science, and software engineering.
Before your video interview:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Dress professionally – the interviewers can see everything around you, so be sure the background is neutral and professional.
- Check the technology ahead of time to ensure it works. Check both sound and video.
- The video interview requires practice. Make time to practice, review, and correct.
Before your phone interview:
- Take the phone interview seriously. Make sure you are in a quiet place and not distracted.
- Make sure that you have strong cell coverage.
- Be aware of potential time differences.
- Always confirm the time zone when scheduling the interview.
As the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) virus continues to unfold, The Workforce Solutions East Texas is continuing to serve its customers and community during the temporary public office closures.
Workforce Solutions East Texas staff facilitate live workforce readiness workshops daily at 11 AM via Zoom. I encourage all Veteran Job Seekers to register for one of these free informative sessions.
Veterans can register to attend by clicking the link in the below each day’s workshop description.
If you have any questions, please contact me at 903-253-7060, or a Career Advisor at 1-844-ETWORKS.
Daily Job Readiness Virtual Workshops
Mondays at 11:00AM
BEST JOB SEARCH STRATEGIES/NAVIGATING WORKINTEXAS.COM
WorkInTexas.com is a comprehensive online job search resource and matching system that utilizes labor and job market tools. Learn how to navigate this platform to search current job postings and look up job leads that match directly to your developed profile and industry-specific portfolio.
INTRODUCTION TO CAREER EDGE
Career EDGE is an innovative online workforce readiness platform that provides online learning modules and an interactive toolkit that offers a resume builder, interview simulation trainer, mock job application, and more. Learn more about this innovative platform and how to navigate to accomplish your needs.
PROFESSIONAL BRANDING RESUME AND COVER LETTER
Compare the two resume types and create an eye-catching resume that best suits your unique situation and grasps the attention of the hiring manager. Gain access to Career EDGE to craft your own resume using our innovative resume builder.
COMPLETING ONLINE JOB APPLICATIONS/ CAREER EDGE MOCK JOB APPLICATIONS
Job applications can be challenging and exhausting. Learn the best techniques to successfully complete your application to grab the hiring manager’s attention. Gain access to the Mock Job Application to practice in our innovative Career EDGE platform.
ACING PHONE AND VIDEO INTERVIEWS/ CAREER EDGE VIRTUAL INTERVIEW SIMULATION TRAINER
Understand the interview process and proper etiquette to ace your next job interview. Gain access to our interview simulation trainer to practice in our innovative Career EDGE platform.