Happy New Year Fellow Veterans, Veteran Advocates & Employers of East Texas,
My name is Todd Clifton. I am a retired U.S. Navy Veteran. I am one of twenty Veteran Resources and Referral Specialist (VRRS) that represents the Texas Workforce Commission’s – Texas Veterans Leadership Program (TVLP).
All Veteran Resources and Referral Specialist are U.S. Military Service Veterans helping our fellow brothers and sisters!
TVLP is committed to assisting Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) Veterans.
The objective is to connect Veterans with resources that can provide basic needs and/or resources that can help Veterans attain personal and professional goals. TVLP is very proud of the fact that The State of Texas leads the nation in taking care of our Veterans!
My personal vision as The Veteran’s Resource and Referral Specialist, for the East Texas and Northeast Texas Region, is for every Military Veteran and eligible family member in local area to have access to long term and meaningful work. To bring that vision into reality, I aim to provide guidance to a full range of employment services to include the following:
- Assistance with Job Applications
- Career Fair Preparation
- Converting Military to Civilian Workforce Experience
- Resume Writing
- Job Coaching
- Job Matching and Searches
- State and Federal Application Guidance
- Interviewing Techniques
- Intensive Services*
*Intensive Services are offered to Disabled Veterans and Veterans with barriers to employment, including but not limited to homeless, economically or educationally disadvantaged.
In addition to providing career related guidance, a general overview of Texas Veteran Leadership Program Services for the East Texas and Northeast Texas Region includes, but is not limited to:
- Providing peer-to-peer outreach to returning Veterans from Iraq, Afghanistan, or Syria who are currently not receiving services as they resume civilian life in the East Texas and Northeast Texas Region.
- Advising, referring, and assisting returning Veterans regarding earned benefits and services, providing added value to existing resources in place by other local, state, and federal agencies.
- Referring Veterans to all Veterans’ service organizations and agencies and encouraging them to take full advantage of earned benefits and services.
- Interviewing Veterans, their dependents, or others and providing services, counseling, and assistance in obtaining rights and entitlements.
- Communicating with Veterans to understand their unique needs and develop a customized referral approach to services designated for those who have served our country.
- Overseeing activities within the local area of the state and coordinating with other state, federal, Veterans, and community groups to facilitate a smooth transition for Veterans and their families.
- Maintaining effective working relationships with Veterans’ organizations, hospitals, military discharge centers, and the community.
- Networking with employers in the area regarding outreach activities and understanding employer needs.
As your VRRS, I can point you in the right direction in any of the following areas:
- Physical & Mental Health Care
- Disability Claim Counseling
- Financial Assistance
- Home/Land Procurement
- Campaign Specific Special Programs & Services =
- Educational & Training Benefits
- Family Services
In the months ahead, I look forward to sharing with you more detailed information about local, state and federal resources that are available for fellow Military Veterans!
To observe some of the resources in the meantime, via social media, I have developed the East Texas Veterans Resource Page on Facebook:
The purpose of this group page is to network and facilitate resources to Veterans and U.S. Military Service Members within 24 counties of the East Texas area. Resources will include the following:
Education Benefits, Employment and Entrepreneurship, Veteran/Military Discounts and Freebies, Veteran Outreach Facilities, Supportive Housing, Peer To Peer Support, Healthcare Advocacy, Counseling, Vet/Military Related Events and Venues, etc. Click here to observe the Facebook Page
If you would like to discuss local Veteran Related Resources with me, you may do so by utilizing the following contact information:
Todd A. Clifton, USN (Ret.)
E-Mail: [email protected]
On the Horizon
Job seekers can register by clicking here.
Click here to view upcoming Veterans Workshops that will be available to prepare Veterans, transitioning service members, and their spouses for American Legion Virtual Job Fair.
Topics: Navigating the Virtual Premier Platform, Preparing for a Virtual Job Fair, Resumes, Applicant Tracking System (ATS), and Follow-Up.