Feel Good Stories About Our Veteran’s Success
- May 2022 Success Story
- U.S. Navy Veteran Darius Sheppard
- Mr. Sheppard came to Camp V with a 0% rating in May 2021 to file for VA disability compensation for service related injuries for which he got denied for multiple circumstances. After completing the application for appeal Mr. Sheppard received approval in October 2021. He was awarded a 40% rating for his disability claims. He currently has other appeals filed and is receiving medical assistance from VA. Mr. Sheppard said: “CampV has given him renewed hope because this new rating prevented him from being homeless, his standard of living has risen and is sustainable. He went on to say he now has his smile back, he feels blessed and God is good “.
- April 2022 Success Story
- U.S. Army Veteran Brant Huml
- Came to Camp V with a 0% rating on December 2020 to file for VA disability compensation for service related injuries. In 2021 he got examinations in February, April and March for multiple circumstances. After completing the application Mr. Huml received approval in June and July. He was awarded a 60% rating for his disability claims. Mr. Huml said: “CampV is great, getting his status helped him to go from jobless to getting a job and climb out of debt so that he can sustain and maintain a better life for his wife and son”.
Mr. Huml is also a participant in the CampV Fit Vet Challenge to help further his pursuit of wellness and health to have a better life.
- March 2022 Success Story
- U.S. Marine Veteran Gary Scott
- In July 2021 he came to file for VA disability compensation for service related injuries and PTSD while stationed at Fort Hood. After completing the application Mr. Scott was awarded 40% in December 2021. Mr. Scott said: “CampV is the best thing to come to East Texas for Veterans because other resources I pursued did not fulfill my needs”.
Also, Mr. Gary Scott is seen here with his faithful companion Ranger. He is one of our participants in our new Service Dog training program available for all Veterans that takes place on site at CampV.
- February 2022 Success Story
- Army Veteran James Hinderman
- In November 2021 Mr. Hinderman came to CAMP V to file for VA disability compensation. After completing the application Mr. Hinderman was set up for a C&P exam in December 2021. January 2022 Mr. Hinderman went from 0% to 50% in a 2 month time span.
- After completing the application Mr. Hinderman was set up for a C&P exam in December 2021. January 2022 Mr. Hinderman went from 0% to 50% in a 2 month time span and he has other exams still pending
- January 2022 Success Story
- Army Veteran Mark Shaw
- In May 2021, Mark Shaw came to CampV for assistance with his job search, Mark was referred to Crissy our Texas workforce solutions representative. Crissy helped Mark secure a job at CampV as the Facility Manager.
- Since then, Executive Director Travis Gladhill said, “Mark has proven to be an invaluable asset to CampV. He is a testament to what our volunteers and staff can accomplish. He serves as an ambassador to fellow Veterans and his outstanding work ethic/dedication has propelled CampV’s timeline of facility improvement tenfold.” Mark Shaw has done a tremendous job at CampV clearing the path for new projects and the future of our Veterans. Mark is continuing to work on new projects for CampV.
- December 2021 Success Story
- Army Veteran Shelton Riggins
- In December of 2020, Shelton Riggins came to CampV for assistance with his VA benefits. Shelton Riggins’s attorney had previously mentioned it would take 3 years before he could receive benefits. His decision to take action with CampV staff is the reason he was able to receive 100% VA benefits in under 3 months.
- Riggins said, “2021 was a great year thanks to CampV and your Veteran advocate Wayne Dickson” Shelton Riggins has a “give back” mentality and continually donates to CampV and helps spread the word. He hopes more Veterans find success.
- November 2021 Success Story
- Army Veteran Rob Robertson
- In November of 2021, Rob Robertson came to CampV for assistance with healthcare. Rob did not have healthcare coverage due to his Medicare Part B cancellation. Jessilyn Edwards is the Humana Provider at CampV that helped turn things around for Rob.
- Jessilyn was able to help Rob reinstate his Medicare Part B and waive his penalty for accidental cancellation. She went as far as to help Rob qualify for a state program that paid the total cost of his Medicare Plan. Furthermore, Rob now has access to food cards, hearing aids, transportation, and more.
- October 2021 Success Story
- Army Veteran Joseph Theriot
- In November of 2020, Joseph Theriot came to CampV for assistance with his VA benefits. Joseph mentioned he tried to obtain VA services for several years with no success. His decision to take action with CampV staff is the reason he was able to receive 100% VA benefits in under 6 months.
- Joseph said, “Veteran advocate Wayne Dickson and CampV helped change my life.” Joseph Theriot has a positive attitude and is thankful. Joseph now has access to several additional benefits including financial relief. He wants all Veterans to know that CampV “is not a waste of time” and the staff “truly care about Veterans.”
- September 2021 Success Story
- Navy Veteran William Morris
- In March of 2021, William Morris came to CampV for assistance with his VA benefits. William mentioned he tried to obtain VA services for two years with no success. His decision to take action with CampV staff is the reason he was able to receive VA benefits in under 2 months.
- William said, “Thank you CampV staff for helping navigate the VA claims process.” His PTSD claim was successfully resolved. He believes more Veterans are needed to help guide others through the complexity of VA claims. William continually strives and encourages Veterans to seek the treatment they need.